To Commit Ourselves to Our Own Ingenuity

Image

Cover

Advertisements

Shipbuilder’s House

Image

Shipbuilders Hosue

Figure 15: On Mary St. (now League St.) just west of Front St. a modest frame house, similar to the home of Richard Berryman. This home was built in 1796 and is listed on the national Registry of Historic Places. The photograph is from the file of the Philadelphia Historical Commission.

1794 Map

Image

1794 Map

Figure 10: This portion of A.P. Folie’s 1794 map of Philadelphia shows the geographic dimensions of the “Embattled Enclave” of Southwark. The southern broundary, to the left, is Prime St. is incorrectly identified as Prune St. The northern boundary to the right is Almond St. The north-south streets are not labeled. The street immediately parallel to the Delaware River is Swanson St., the streets behind it are the numbered streets, Front, Second, Third, etc. The darken area is urban and developed; the lighter area is rural. The map is part of the HSP collection, and reproduced and used here by permission of HSP.

Humphrey’s Yard

Image

Humphrey's Yard

Figure 9: This copy of a William Birch print illustrates another warship, the subscription warship, the U.S. Philadelphia, under construction in Humphrey’s Yard in Southwark. The spire of Old Swedes Church is in the background and gives some idea of scale to the immensity of the construction.
The illustration, a gift of Mrs. Joseph R. Stuib, is part of the collection at ISM, and it is used here courtesy of Craig Bruns, Collection Manager.